It’s pancake day today, and along with many others we have indulged in a treat of pancakes for lunch. I’m sorry to say we wolfed them down too quickly for me to snap many pictures, but I thought I’d share the pancake recipe we always use. No need for a packet mix, especially as it only takes three ingredients to make these delicious pancakes! All you need to decide on now is what fillings to have…Not an easy decision by the way! there are so many delicious options to choose from!
We had ours drenched in lemon juice and sugar today but there are loads of fillings you could try :
- Nutella and banana
- Jam and creme fraiche
- Baked apples and cream
- Mango and honey
- Butternut squash and stilton
- Mushroom and cheese
- Ham and cheese
- Duck and hoisin sauce
- Asparagus and smoked salmon
There’s always something satisfying about flipping that first pancake, although don’t worry if the first one isn’t quite perfect. I always find the first one seems to season the pan, so the following ones flip more easily!
My favourite pancake pan is actually one from John Lewis. There is a ban on using this pan for anything other than eggs so that it retains it’s pancake flipping ability!
I pop the oven on low and put a plate in to warm as I’m making the pancake mix. Then I can pile up the pancakes until they’re all cooked and we can enjoy them together – this makes sure the chef doesn’t miss out on the pancakey goodness 😉 Also useful if you have more mouths to feed, the mixture can be doubled up for even more portions.
What’s your favourite pancake filling? We’re tempted to make another batch for dinner, there’s no excuse like pancake day! 😉
- Pancake / Frying pan
- 100 g Plain flour
- 300 ml Milk
- 2 Eggs
- Butter (for the pan)
- Whisk together the flour, milk and eggs
- Heat the pan and melt the butter
- Pre-heat an oven on a low temperature to keep the pancakes warm while you fry them
- Ladle or spoon pancake mix into the hot pan and rotate the pan to get an even covering of pancake mixture
- Cook until the pancake is golden, flip it over and cook the other side
- Enjoy with a filling of your choice!